January 23, 2014

Crockpot Ginger Shredded Pork and Broccoli Salad

I have been trying getting in the habit of buying meat and cheese to freeze when it is on sale. It is something my family has always done, but now that I have a secondary freezer part of me wants to fill it. Maybe it is the need to feed my family or the security of knowing no matter what issues we are facing having extra food storage is never a bad thing. I had recently stocked up on small pork roasts. If you know me well, you know I rarely eat pork, not for any religious reasons, just... I don't really care for it. Bacon is the only pig I eat with any regularity and that only about once or twice a month.

I don't like buying food that my family won't eat so I went into the store with the idea that if my husband and son like it, I will try to enjoy it. Fast forward to a month or so later, I have a couple roasts left and I am sick of making pot roast. I looked up some different pulled pork sandwiches then decided to give it a shot but make a recipe of my own. Sorry for any one who does not eat pork for what you are about to see.


I was thrilled with how this came out! Less then five minutes of work then you let the slow cooker do the rest. You could use a dutch over too, you may just need to adjust your time. It is easy enough for anyone that can measure and plug in a crockpot.

Crockpot Ginger Shredded Pork

2.5 - 4 lbs Pork Roast
1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar (with the 'Mother')
1/4 C Soy Sauce
1/4 C Worcestershire Sauce
2 T Unfiltered Honey
4 Cloves Garlic (peeled and smashed whole)
1 Thumb of Ginger (about 1 T grated)
1 t Sea Salt
1 T Ground Pepper

Mix together liquid ingredients, honey, grated ginger, garlic and salt & pepper. Once combine add to slow cooker then place roast in mixture. Set to high and let cook for 6-8 hours or until able to shred. Serve on bun or roll and enjoy!

For a side dish I made a broccoli salad. I have never been a fan of raw broccoli. It is kind of funny because broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables. For this salad you will only need 5 ingredients. Broccoli, raisins, sunflower seeds, apple cider vinegar and honey.



Broccoli Salad

2 Heads broccoli shredded (about 4 cups)
1 C Raisins 
1 C Sunflower Seeds
1/2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 C Unfiltered Honey

Mix together honey and ACV then set aside. Toss together broccoli, raisins and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over mixture then toss again. Salad is ready to eat or can be chilled until needed.

This combination is  perfect meal for anytime of year. Great for summer potlucks or cold winter days. Please let me know what you think of these recipes!

~Connect with me~
YouTube : HandmadebyKristen

Facebook : Chee Chee and Company


Pinterest : cheecheeandco

Instagram : cheecheeandco

Twitter : cheecheeandco

No comments:

Post a Comment